Hindmarsh Hall, Grade II Listed, was originally one of three granaries at the south-end of the village of Alnmouth, Northumberland. The 4th Duke of Northumberland had the building converted into an Anglican Chapel in 1859.
In 1876 the chapel was made redundant, so the building was used and referred to as the ‘Town Hall’ for the ensuing 60 years. Leonard King Hindmarsh bought the dilapidated property in the 1930s, then some years later had it refurbished and gave it to the community of Alnmouth.
During 2003–4, the Trustees completed a programme of restoration and updating of the building; however, 14 years later, the building needed further renovations, following a comprehensive condition survey.
Giles Arthur Architects were employed to conceptualise the trustee’s vision; addressing structural issues, space planning and making the building more energy efficient. Selectaglaze 4-12-4mm, low-E, sealed unit secondary glazing was specified to provide enhanced thermal insulation. All the openings have deep splayed reveals, so the secondary was fixed with a maximum cavity close to the wall face where it was wider, framing the primary window, allowing unrestricted opening of the units.
Fenestral, partner of Selectaglaze, managed the surveying and installation of the project. The tall lancet windows posed a challenge due to their height; 3350mm. Each of these openings were built up with a Series 41 side hung casement set between two Series 40 fixed light units.
Selectaglaze is the specialist in secondary glazing, established in 1966 and Royal Warrant Holder since 2004.